- Date: March 8, 2017 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Location: Mills River, North Carolina
- Host: National Young Farmers Coalition
- Address: Mountain Horticultural Crops Research and Extension Center, 455 Research Drive, Mills River, North Carolina 28759
- Event Website
This training is intended for land trust staff and other regional conservation professionals who are involved in farmland protection projects and committed to supporting farmers.
Attendees will learn about the innovative tools and strategies being used by land trusts around the country to keep farmland affordable and accessible to farmers. The training will feature presentations on farmers’ land access needs and challenges, affordability provisions in easements, ground leases, legal considerations, funding, and more.
Specific topics to be addressed include:
• New farmer needs and challenges in acquiring farmland
• Owning, holding and leasing farmland
• Easement affordability provisions
• Legal, tax and policy issues associated with land access and farm transition