- Location: Central and Southern Appalachian region
- Hiring Organization: Appalachian Voices
- Contact Name: Rory McIlmoil
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Job Website
Appalachian Voices seeks a digital communicator to develop and deliver content that advances our programmatic strategies, raising awareness of issues and building grassroots engagement to achieve key objectives at the local, state and federal levels. The position will play a key role in the organization’s social media strategy and implementation, and will work with programmatic staff to engage with our supporter base through emails, advocacy action alerts and SMS messages.
The successful candidate will be a creative communicator, able to pair written and visual content for different campaigns and audiences, and will have strong writing and editing skills across a variety of platforms.
This position will be based in the Central and Southern Appalachian region, and proximity to one of Appalachian Voices’ offices is a plus. Occasional travel will be required as public health conditions allow, including providing in-person communications support for program staff and travel to our office in Boone, North Carolina.
- Develop and implement strategic social media outreach to engage supporters and accomplish campaign goals by:
- Leading social media for several aspects of the organization’s work
- Implementing and maintaining digital ads campaigns on Facebook and Google platforms
- Crafting or working with our Graphics Coordinator to craft compelling digital visuals
- Assist with supporter and advocate engagement by:
- Editing and setting up email blasts and action alerts
- Expanding SMS supporter engagement
- Helping program staff identify communications opportunities and working with the communications team to realize those opportunities
- Assisting with general communications outreach
- Helping the Director of Technology and Digital Innovation analyze the performance of content and make recommendations for improvement
- Professional experience in social media and enthusiasm for using social media to engage users in creating change
- Excellent writing skills and ability to draft engaging, factual content across numerous channels, including social media posts and blogs
- Ability to create effective graphics for social media; experience with or aptitude for short-form video production for the web
- Proficiency and ease working in a digital environment
- Experience or aptitude for making data-driven decisions
- Experience with WordPress or other front-end CMS web tools preferred. HTML, CSS and other development experience a plus
- Knowledge of environmental issues; familiarity with Appalachian-specific or energy-related issues a plus
- Strong time management skills with a proven ability to manage multiple, simultaneous deadlines and projects
- Ability to produce high-quality work and exercise good judgment
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well independently and in teams
- Audio editing experience a plus
- Digital advertising experience a plus
- Illustration skills a plus
This position has a full-time 40-hour work week and is included in a union-represented collective bargaining unit; specific terms and conditions of employment may be subject to a future Collective Bargaining Agreement. We are accepting applications from people with a range of experience levels and salary requirements. Salary will be commensurate with the experience of our selected candidate (we anticipate in the range of $42,000 – $60,000 per year). Appalachian Voices is committed to equity in pay practice.
Appalachian Voices offers competitive compensation and benefits that include employer-paid health care, vision, and dental policies with options to include family members at a reduced cost, plus short- and long-term disability plans, generous paid vacation and parental leave, options for flexible working hours, and an employer-matched retirement plan.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until this position is filled. For best early consideration, apply by Nov. 16. Interviews will start in late November and the target employment date is December or January 2022. Questions about the position are welcomed via email. No calls, please.
Please send a resume, three work samples (including at least two writing samples), and a brief cover letter that addresses the questions below to email@example.com with the subject line “[YOUR NAME] application for Communications Coordinator.”
- What’s your connection to Appalachia and why do you want to work on energy and environmental issues affecting the region?
- Share an area of professional growth in which you are currently engaged.
About Appalachian Voices
Appalachian Voices is a nonprofit advocacy organization that works to achieve an Appalachia with healthy, intact ecosystems and advance a just transition to a generative and equitable clean energy economy. We have 30 staff members located in offices in Boone, N.C., Charlottesville, Va., Norton, Va., Knoxville, Tenn., and Durham, N.C.
Commitment to equity
Appalachian Voices is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion both in our work and in our organizational structure. We seek applicants who share and exhibit these principles. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
We understand people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the primary roles and responsibilities listed. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.Our Work