- Location: Washington, NC
- Hiring Organization: Sound Rivers
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Job Website
Sound Rivers is seeking an experienced Communications Director to lead our communications program. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications Director will set and guide communications strategy to raise awareness of Sound Rivers’ work. This is a new position, instrumental to the success of Sound Rivers’ communications program and our overall mission to defend the Neuse and Tar-Pamlico Rivers.
Sound Rivers has a long tradition of clean water advocacy, protecting and preserving the health and viability of the Tar-Pamlico and Neuse Rivers. This position is based in our Washington, North Carolina office.
The physical demands of this position include utilizing computer equipment, traveling to and actively participating in public meetings, verbal communications with media representatives, contractors, and others both in person and by telephone, and occasional travel by vehicle and boat on the Neuse and Tar-Pamlico Rivers.
• Communications Plan: Create a strategic plan to increase organizational visibility and promote Sound Rivers’ work by identifying key audience targets and setting goals for increasing engagement across all platforms; oversee implementation and adjustment as needed.
• Digital Strategy: Develop and execute a digital media strategy within the communications plan that consistently distributes relevant and engaging content via Sound Rivers’ social media platforms, website, email newsletters, and other digital channels to increase visibility and audience engagement.
• Media Strategy: Develop a proactive media outreach strategy that facilitates media inquiries, pitches stories and secures media opportunities for organizational spokespeople, cultivates relationships with local and national journalists, and tracks relevant media stories and trends.
• Content Creation: Oversee and help create all written and visual communications content under the communications plan and digital and media strategies, including graphic assets such as photos, video, logos, and other materials.
• Contractor and Volunteer Management: Manage outside contractors and volunteers working with Sound Rivers to fulfill communications needs, including graphic designers, printers, web developers, writers, photographers, and filmmakers.
• Brand Alignment: Improve and maintain the Sound Rivers brand and ensure brand alignment in overall aesthetic, design, and language across the organization in public-facing communications.
• Program Collaboration: Work with the Executive Director and program staff to effectively use organizational communications to support Sound Rivers program priorities. Get ahead of stories related to our core program areas to make the most of big public moments.
• Fundraising Collaboration: Partner closely with the Development Director and Executive Director to support fundraising activities and corporate engagement, including events, narratives, and collateral to drive donor development. Contribute to content writing of grant reports and foundation proposals as needed.
• Budget Management: Develop and manage an annual communications budget in collaboration with the Executive Director and Business Manager as needed.
• Internal Reporting: Represent the communications program internally and provide well-informed updates to staff and Board.
• Organizational Values: Bring leadership attributes of integrity, transparency, equity, and inclusion to contribute positively to a passionate, hardworking, efficient, and collegial team.
• Other: Duties as needed or required.
• Bachelor’s degree in a communications field and at least 2 years related work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Outstanding writing and editing skills with an ability to craft compelling narratives that educate our audiences and inspire them to take action.
• Advanced experience with Microsoft Office and Adobe suite.
o Particularly, experience with InDesign or similar program.
• Experience with social media, including Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
• Ability to design and implement successful communications campaigns through digital media channels and traditional media, and experience executing a strategic communications plan, with direct responsibility for outcomes.
• Demonstrated experience translating complex information for public audiences and maintaining brand voice across platforms and audiences.
• Proven project management skills, with the ability to set and meet multiple internal and external deadlines and follow through to successfully complete projects.
• Ability to independently problem-solve, make key decisions, and build collaborative partnerships with colleagues. Ability to exercise sound judgment and reflect organizational values, even in stressful situations.
• Ability to create, manage, and adhere to a budget.
• Strong team ethic and integrity, with a desire to play a leadership role at a collaborative, inclusive, and highly-effective organization.
Other Desired Experience
• Passion for and knowledge of environmental and justice issues affecting eastern North Carolina.
• Bilingual in English / Spanish.
• Experience in graphic design or willingness to complete training.
• Experience using email services (e.g. MailChimp, Constant Contact, Bloomerang, etc).
• Experience with HTML/CSS coding and or web design.
• Experience directly managing consultants in a collaborative and professional manner.
• Experience in nonprofit work.
Sound Rivers is committed to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to protect the Rivers. We strongly encourage applicants from underrepresented backgrounds in the environmental movement to apply.
This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Executive Director. The hiring range for this position ranges from $36,000 to $39,000, depending upon relevant experience and qualifications. Benefits include generous paid annual leave, paid holidays, paid sick leave, and a monthly stipend up to $350 to assist with health insurance costs. Sound Rivers places the highest value on its employees and employee retention and is committed to continuously building on our collaborative and flexible work environment. We value a healthy work-life balance and offer opportunities for staff development.
If you are interested in this position and meet a majority of the essential qualifications, please send a cover letter and resumé in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “YOUR LAST NAME, Communications Director.” If your materials indicate a potential match for our
requirements, we will contact you. Professional writing and design samples, and references will be requested from candidates chosen for interviews; a writing exercise will be required of finalists for the position. Please, no phone calls or emails to the office regarding this opening.
Position open until filled; interviews will be scheduled as early as September 10, 2020, with an
anticipated start date in October 2020.