- Location: Raleigh, NC (preferred)
- Close Date: 12/31/2022
- Hiring Organization: Environment North Carolina
- Job Website
Environment North Carolina is a citizen-based environmental advocacy organization and a project of Environment America, a national network of 30 state environmental groups with one mission — to change our country and our world to be a greener, healthier place. We believe there’s something special about North Carolina — from the Great Smoky Mountains in the west to our iconic seashores on the east, North Carolina’s natural wonders enrich our lives in countless ways and are worth protecting and preserving for future generations.
And yet it’s no secret that the earth is in trouble. For too long, the way we produce and consume energy has degraded the quality of the air we breathe, toxic chemicals and runoff pollution have contaminated the water we drink, and development has diminished the wildlife and wild places we love, and destabilized the climate we need to survive. Despite the challenges, Environment North Carolina and our national network keep finding multiple ways to make a positive difference for the planet. For example, our clean energy program’s “Renewables on the Rise” dashboard reports that North Carolina ranks fourth in the nation for installed rooftop solar. We have passed policies to get lead out of school drinking water in recent years, and our advocacy has helped prevent offshore oil drilling off our coast.
In every campaign we run, we put the earth first. Nothing else matters if we don’t have a healthy planet. Restoring and protecting the environment is our only mission. We also know that lasting progress for the planet comes one challenging step at a time. We have a bold vision of a greener world. But we know that making a difference often requires compromise. We also know that, to make progress sustainable, we need to reach out to everybody, not just the people who already agree with us. We are currently recruiting a Conservation Advocate who is driven by these same goals to join our state-based advocacy team.
- Program: In coordination with our State Director, help lead our in-state program, participating in and overseeing policy development, research and messaging.
- Advocacy & Coalition Building: Bring problems and solutions to the attention of decision-makers — including state legislators, people on the governor’s staff, state regulators and local officials. Develop appropriate messages and materials for making the case to decision-makers. Build relationships with key players in the state, the region and at the federal level. Identify, reach out to and work with partners who can help us win our campaigns.
- Campaign strategy: Develop plans to win on our environmental campaigns. Assess opportunities for building political support for our agenda through coalition-building, grassroots organizing, media coverage, endorsements and message development.
- Communications: Serve as the public spokesperson for our campaigns through media events, press releases, editorial board meetings and other outreach with a goal of building name recognition for the organization, educating the public about our issues, and building and demonstrating support for our positions.
- Fundraising and grassroots support: Write grant proposals, build relationships with foundation staff and meet with our donors, all to bring more resources to campaigns we’re waging to protect our environment. Work with our citizen outreach staff to build and foster our membership base, grassroots and online base of support.
- Staff recruitment and development: Recruit new staff and volunteers to increase our impact and build our power.
Candidates should have at least 2 years of relevant professional experience, show excellent judgment and discretion, and have the ability to oversee significant projects. Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to environmental and public interest issues, to citizen-based social change, as well as a track record of leadership. We’re looking for goal-driven and results-oriented individuals who have excellent verbal, writing and analytical skills, the ability to speak persuasively in a charged atmosphere, and enthusiasm for the work.
Experience in state level political advocacy, grassroots organizing, fundraising is a bonus.
The starting annual compensation range for this position is $33,500-$42,000 and depends on relevant experience and education. Environment North Carolina offers an excellent benefits package. Our benefits package may include medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, needs-based student loan assistance, 401(k) plan with employer match, commuter benefit program, paid time off, parental leave and long-term disability insurance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Apply online at: https://environmentamerica.org/northcarolina/jobs/environment-north-carolina-conservation-advocate/