- Location: Morrisville, NC
- Close Date: 02/12/2023
- Hiring Organization: Democracy North Carolina
- Contact Name: Hannah James
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Job Website
The Finance and Operations Director will lead the organization’s key systems including financial management, information technology, volunteer management, and general operations. This director is charged with building and delivering policies and strategies that improve the organization’s financial status and general health.
The person holding this position will also be responsible for supervising two full-time employees: the Accounting and Payroll Manager and the Volunteer Program Associate. This position reports to Democracy North Carolina’s Co-Executive Directors, serves on the organization’s leadership team, and is based in our Morrisville office.
- Oversee the development and management of the organization budget.
- Monitor financial management practices to ensure compliance with all finance standards and legal requirements.
- Oversee all financial operations within each department to ensure they are spending within budget and following organization’s financial policies. Update financial policies as needed.
- Analyze financial performance of the organization and develop reports for the executive team and the board of directors.
- Review organization revenue and expenses to make forecasts and projections on performance.
- Research and review investments to make recommendations on modifications to portfolio.
- Track investment portfolio and incorporate changes in financial reports.
- Serve on the Board Finance Committee and provide finance reports to the Board.
- Manage the annual audit process, work with the audit firm to complete the audit in a timely manner.
- Supervise Accounting and Payroll staff.
- Review and keep current all organization policies and procedures, according to nonprofit best practice standards, including the Fiscal Management and Internal Controls guide.
- Plan and manage contracts and relationships with consultants, including the financial auditor.
- Assess, develop and maintain quality IT capabilities and equipment, including relationship and contract with IT management firm. Implement technology plan and management for purchasing, discontinuing and replacing hardware and software.
- Oversee facilities planning and management including ongoing maintenance of quality work spaces and equipment in the main office and regional locations.
- Oversee Volunteer Management program and supervise Volunteer Program Associate.
- Coordinate with HR staff to keep current all organization policies and procedures, according to nonprofit best practice standards, including the Employee Handbook.
- Support the Co-Executive Directors by coordinating staff planning logistics and activities including annual and periodic meetings.
Skills and Attributes
- Extensive experience evaluating and using financial software
- Excellent mathematical, computer, and analytical skills
- Ability to create and deliver comprehensive budgets for multiple departments
- Strong understanding of fiscal policy and investment strategies
- High degree of discretion dealing with confidential information
- Verbal and written communications skills to create and present reports to board
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- 6+ years of experience in lead accounting and finance roles, CPA preferred
- Nonprofit, cost accounting experience, QuickBooks preferred
- Knowledge of one or more areas in human resources (ex. benefits, compensation)
- Excellent supervisory skills and ability to manage, develop and evaluate staff working on multiple, disparate projects
- Commitment to North Carolina and the South.
- Commitment to Democracy NC’s mission and values, including racial equity; ability and willingness to work with a diverse group of people.
Hiring Range: $84,000-$94,000 based on experience.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% employee premium coverage and 50% premium coverage for domestic partner/spouse and/or children.
- Health Reimbursement Arrangement for out-of-pocket medical expenses up to 76% for employees and 38% for covered family members
- Free Telehealth for all employees and family members
- Employer-provided life insurance and ADD
- 9 paid holidays + 1 week office closure at year-end
- 30 days paid time off per year
- 403(b) retirement option with employer contribution
- Individual and team professional development opportunities
- Casual, flexible work environment with a commitment to employee wellbeing and work/life balance, currently operating as hybrid in-person/remote
For specific questions about Democracy NC’s benefits, please contact Hannah James (HR Associate) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send the following to email@example.com with the subject line “Finance and Operations Director” (no phone calls please):
- Cover letter with an overview of your professional background and interest in the position
- In your email, please share how you first learned about this position
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a priority deadline of February 12, 2023. The role will remain open until filled.
Applicants whose skills and qualifications most closely match the needs of this role will be invited to interview in February.
Job offers are contingent upon successful completion of reference and background checks. Only prior convictions that risk the safety of our staff or the security of the organization will be considered disqualifying.
Should you require any accommodation during the application process, please contact Hannah James (HR Associate) firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
About Democracy NC
Democracy North Carolina (Democracy NC) works to strengthen democratic structures, build power in disenfranchised communities, and inspire confidence in a transformed political process that works for all. Through grassroots organizing, policy advocacy and research, and strategic communications, the nonpartisan organization aims to protect and advance voting access, ensure fair representation, and increase the participation of those historically underrepresented in the political process, especially people of color. For nearly 30 years, this 501(c)3 nonprofit (and its predecessor, Democracy South) has taken on powerful institutions and politicians, regardless of party, and promoted reforms that expand public involvement in civic life. Democracy NC works closely and in coalition with reform-minded local, state, and national partners to achieve the policy outcomes and grassroots participation necessary for a just and equitable democracy.Our Work