- Location: Raleigh, NC
- Close Date: 03/15/2021
- Hiring Organization: Blueprint NC
- Job Website
The Finance Manager will provide critical leadership and oversight of Blueprint NC’s financial functions. The role is new, within a growing organization and will likely evolve over time. This position reports directly to the Executive Director, works closely with the staff Leadership Team (Executive Director and Deputy Director) an Operations & Finance Strategist, and supervises a Bookkeeper.
Financial Analysis & Budgeting
● Lead annual budgeting process to produce a budget aligned with the organization’s goals and strategic priorities; monitor budget to actual results throughout the year and keep the Executive Leadership team abreast of organization’s financial status.
● Balance the delivery of programs against the realities of budget constraints through knowledge and understanding of general business matters, including budget development, financial reporting, cash management, business taxes, banking, and debt financing instruments.
● Coordinate with Leadership Team in preparing annual budget for Board submission, with narrative on results, variances to plan, trends and key metrics.
● Provide financial analytical reporting for Leadership Team and Operations Strategist.
● Teach, coach, and support staff to ensure they have the financial information and knowledge necessary to do their jobs effectively.
● Approve budgets for grant proposals and contracts.
● With Operations Associate and Grants Manager, coordinate grant tracking with financial oversight.
● Oversee and provide analysis on grant budgeting within the strategic planning process.
● Provide governance-level reporting for Board review and decision-making efforts.
Audit & Tax
● Supervise and support Bookkeeper in working with outside accounting firm on audit and state/federal tax returns.
● Review 990 tax returns for accuracy and presentation to the Board.
● Ensure that current accounting standards and legal requirements are met.
● Supervise Bookkeeper, including training and development, performance management and workflow, and support/issue resolution.
● With the Leadership Team, plan and set financial priorities and strategies.
● Working with outside consultants as needed, revise and oversee implementation of updated finance and accounting policies, procedures, and controls; establish financial operating procedures reflective of organizational values and strategy.
● With Operations & Finance Strategist and Bookkeeper, maintain internal controls to ensure the reliability and integrity of financial and accounting information.
● Coordinate all financial activities, including banking relationships and investment activities.
● Monitor and control financial accounts to ensure Blueprint NC is maximizing cash and investment rate of return in compliance with Board policy.
● Interface with Leadership Team to provide training and guidance on accounting controls and procedures.
● Support to the Board with regards to investment activity/strategy and management.
● Represent organization to banks, financial partners, institutions, investors, public auditors and officials.
● Bachelor’s degree in business or accounting preferred. CPA preferred.
● Five or more years of progressively responsible accounting experience. Extensive knowledge and application of professional accounting principles, concepts, and techniques from working with nonprofits. At least two years of previous management or supervisory experience required.
● Solid knowledge of accrual bookkeeping and accounting principles, Federal and State laws and regulations pertaining to nonprofit accounting principles. Working knowledge of GAAP, FASB standards, IRS and other regulatory requirements as they apply to nonprofits.
● Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs, QuickBooks, Blackbaud, and other software applications and systems. Technologically sound with quick adaptability and willingness to learn new technology platforms and databases.
● Able to work in a highly collaborative, diverse environment and tune into others’ feelings, thoughts, and motivations and earn trust by consistently demonstrating integrity, authenticity, and professional competence. Excellent communication and presentation skills. Executes duties with attention to customer service. Takes responsibility for resolving inquiries from teammates with accurate, consistent, and timely responses.
● Successful experience empowering team members to achieve results. Experience
motivating, coaching, and developing high-performing teams.
● Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get things done while maintaining the ability to be flexible and adapt to change. Lives up to verbal and written agreements, regardless of personal cost. Self-disciplined with an ability to balance the “big picture, long-term view” with a hands on, day-to-day focus.
● Organization, planning, and attention to detail – Able to meet deadlines as well as handle and prioritize multiple simultaneous requests. Strong time management skills and ability to communicate production timelines on multiple projects. Plan, organize, schedule, and budget time in an efficient, productive manner. Precision and quality focused, methodical, with great patience and attention to detail.
● Ability to translate accounting and financial concepts to – and effectively collaborate with – programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance/accounting backgrounds.
● Maintains personal commitment to professional education and development, which includes staying up to date with current developments in accounting standards and regulations which may affect nonprofits.
● Commitment to supporting a movement for an anti-racist, inclusive democracy
Salary is commensurate with experience but will range from $70-75,000 annually. Benefits include retirement and medical, dental and vision insurance.
In lieu of a cover letter, use this form (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSePDiwVw7xPQesyXPrzTI78UD-vOBlcsHaBkYjayCZ_uBqzSA/viewform) to submit answers to the questions and submit your resume and three references. While we will take applications on a rolling basis, our priority
deadline is March 15.
1. We believe providing top-tier finance and operations support to organizations leading the charge for an anti-racist democracy is a unique movement capacity. Why have you chosen to do finance work in a social justice context?
2. What makes you uniquely qualified for this role?
3. To what extent has pursuing racial or other types of equity and inclusion been a priority in your prior finance role(s), and how did you approach it?
No phone calls, please.
Blueprint NC is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender expression, age, disability, sexual orientation, economic class, or status as a formerly convicted/incarcerated person.