- Location: Durham, NC
- Close Date: 09/30/2020
- Hiring Organization: Clean Air Carolina
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Job Website
Clean Air Carolina is a statewide advocacy organization working for clean air and climate change solutions since 2003. With offices in Charlotte and Research Triangle Park, our mission is to advocate for the health of people in North Carolina by pursuing collaborative solutions to the impacts of climate change, air pollution, and environmental injustices.
The Health Manager is responsible for all activities related to the Medical Advocates for Healthy Air (MAHA) Program, a statewide network of medical and health professionals promoting improved air quality through health education and advocacy. MAHA includes health professionals at all career levels, from student to retiree, who advocate primarily on state-level policy, but certain initiatives have targeted institutional, local, regional, and national policies as well.
The Manager nurtures and stewards a well-informed, diverse group of medical and health professionals that effectively advocates for healthy air policies at the local, state, and national levels. This is accomplished by:
- Managing the MAHA membership by recruiting new members and engaging current members across the state.
- Presenting at and attending events, conferences, and board meetings to educate and advocate for clean air and a healthy climate, including conducting the monthly air, climate and health training with Duke Health and Atrium Health pediatric residents.
- Leading the planning committee and coordinating the logistics for the annual day-long NC BREATHE conference, including identifying venues, developing agenda, coordinating the speakers, arranging the caterer, organizing the poster session, managing staff support, etc.
- Developing new and maintaining current partnerships with research institutions and advocacy organizations, and relationships with members of the media and policymakers.
- Analyzing, synthesizing, and disseminating new research regarding the health impacts of air pollution and recommending action on regional and state-level air quality policies when relevant.
- Supporting and guiding advocacy activities with MAHA members and the Clean Air Carolina Policy Manager with a health focus.
- Managing the MAHA Advisory Board including the quarterly meetings.
- Drafting content for communication platforms, e.g., blog posts, action alerts, and a monthly eBulletin.
- Recruiting and supervising interns and volunteers.
- Participating in fundraising efforts and administrative tasks with other staff for general organizational support and support of the MAHA program.
- Experience in developing, delivering, and evaluating educational presentations.
- Experience in public health, environmental project management, event planning, and policy advocacy.
- Excellent networking, organizational, and written and verbal communication skills, and ability to present to diverse audiences, specifically racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse communities.
- High level of comfort with technology including Microsoft Office, G Suite, project management applications, and Zoom.
- Degree in health, environmental science, or related field or equivalent education and/or experience desired.
Salary Range $48,000-$58,000. This full-time (40 hours per week) position requires occasional evening meetings, weekend work, and overnight travel. Clean Air Carolina offers a competitive compensation package to include medical, dental & vision coverage, paid-time-off (PTO), the company paid holidays, cell phone allowance, and parental leave. Preferable, this position will be based in our Triangle office (Durham, NC), but is remote during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Only online applications received by September 30, 2020, 11:59 pm will be accepted. Apply here: https://cleanaircarolina.org/jobs-internships/ See attachment.
For questions about this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls. To learn more about Clean Air Carolina, please visit our website at www.cleanaircarolina.org. Clean Air Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourage applications from candidates of color. We do not discriminate on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, medical condition, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and needs of the organization.