- Location: Boone, N.C., Norton, Va., Charlottesville, Va. or possibly Durham, N.C.
- Close Date: 08/20/2022
- Hiring Organization: Appalachian Voices
- Contact Name: Jamie Goodman
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Job Website
Appalachian Voices is a nonprofit advocacy organization that brings people together to protect the land, air, and water of Central and Southern Appalachia and advance a just transition to a clean energy economy. We currently have 30 staff members located in offices in Charlottesville, Virginia, Norton, Virginia, Boone, North Carolina, Durham, North Carolina, and Knoxville, Tennessee.
Appalachian Voices seeks a full-time IT Specialist to support programmatic staff in advancing a clean energy transition in our region. The IT Specialist will report to and work closely with the Director of Digital Innovation and Technology to manage our technology systems. The position will be responsible for maintaining the organization’s computers, network and digital security at our four regional offices, providing basic technology support and training for staff as needed. The position will also help administer our web server and do some development and troubleshooting for the organization’s php-based WordPress websites. The IT Specialist will also provide technology support for our cloud-based Google Workspace for Nonprofits, and potentially assist in supporting other communications, advocacy and fundraising tools depending on skill set and need.
To be successful, you should have a strong knowledge of Mac and Windows computers and PHP-based websites, possess excellent troubleshooting skills, have a keen interest in learning new technologies, and be a collaborative team player. Top candidates will also have the ability to communicate effectively and amiably with end users as well as IT professionals.
The IT Specialist will be an on-site position, but can be based in one of our four main offices: Boone, N.C., Charlottesville, Va., Durham, N.C., or Norton, Va. Occasional travel to other locations in North Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee will be required.
Commitment to equity
Appalachian Voices is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion both in our work and in our organizational structure. We seek applicants who share and exhibit these principles. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
We understand people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the primary roles and responsibilities below. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
- Desktop, software and peripheral equipment support
- Security and backups for staff computers and servers
- Website administration (and potential database administration / site development, depending, on skill level)
- Google Workspace for Nonprofits administration
SECONDARY / POTENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Help provide support for Salesforce and connected tools
- Help administer other cloud-based tools
- Assist in regularly evaluating digital and IT systems to ensure they meet the necessary demands
- Collaborate with data analysts and designers to develop cutting edge tools that help people understand their relationship to energy
- A working knowledge of hardware and software configuration for networks, Mac and Windows computers and peripherals
- A working knowledge of cloud-based server administration
- Familiarity with information security practices and procedures
- Excellent troubleshooting and creative problem solving skills
- Experience with Google Apps for Nonprofits, Salesforce and other cloud-based tools a plus
- Effective communication skills with end users as well as IT professionals
- Skilled at collaborating in a team-minded environment
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize shifting responsibilities
- A strong desire to work for an organization working on the front lines of energy-related environmental issues in Appalachia
Salary for the IT Specialist is commensurate with experience, with a targeted hiring range between $45,000 – $60,000. We welcome the opportunity to connect with potential candidates who may be outside of the compensation band. Appalachian Voices is committed to equity in pay practice.
This position is full-time and is included in a union-represented collective bargaining unit; specific terms and conditions of employment may be subject to a future Collective Bargaining Agreement. Appalachian Voices offers competitive compensation and benefits that include employer-paid health care, vision, and dental policies with options to include family members at a reduced cost, plus short- and long-term disability plans; as well as generous paid vacation and parental leave, options for flexible working hours, and an employer-matched retirement plan.
Please send a resume and a brief cover letter outlining your IT experience and explaining why you are interested in working for an environmental organization to email@example.com with the subject line “[YOUR NAME] application for IT Specialist.”
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until this position is filled. Questions about the position are welcomed via email. No calls, please.