- Location: Concord, NC
- Close Date: March 29, 2019
- Hiring Organization: Carolina Farm Stewardship Association
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Job Website
The Lomax Farm Coordinator is a full-time (40 hours/week), salaried position with the Carolina Farm Stewardship Association (CFSA). The position is based at the Elma C. Lomax Research and Education Farm in Concord, NC and is responsible for operational management of programs at the farm. This position is responsible for supporting farming operations at Lomax Farm, including production and non-production areas and will be responsible for the physical assets of the facility.
ADMINISTRATION & OUTREACH (5%)
● Assist with programmatic monitoring to ensure compliance, progress towards objectives and expected results, and work plan and budget adherence.
● Lead tours of Lomax to visitors including students and community members.
FARM OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT (65%)
● Support farming operations including production and non-production areas and maintain the physical assets of the facility.
● Maintain all equipment, land, and buildings, including mowing, weed trimming, field preparation, cover crop cultivation, small engine repair, and winterizing equipment and irrigation.
● Help train farmers-in-training on the safe and proper use of farm equipment and infrastructure.
● Respond to needs of farmers-in-training and other authorized users of the Lomax Farm.
● Ensure farm and land management and maintenance activities related to farming operations are completed in a timely manner.
● Ensure implementation of and compliance with Lomax Farm Organic System Plan, consistent with the maintenance of Lomax Farm’s certified organic status.
● Ensure compliance with Standard Operating Procedures developed for Lomax Farm equipment and facilities and prevent unauthorized use of or access to farm equipment and facilities.
● Assist in drafting, communicating, and enforcing new policies and procedures as needed to address farm management and safety issues.
● Coordinate volunteer activities on the farm.
● Assist organizations with a presence at Lomax Farm with land management and production based needs.
● Assist the Organic Research Coordinator in implementing and maintaining research projects and data collection.
TRAINING AND TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE (30%)
● Ensure Farmers-in-Training apply principles of good hygiene and Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) in the production, harvest, and handling of crops, as well as apply GAP principles to the overall management of Lomax Farm, including the availability of restroom facilities and potable water for drinking and post-harvest handling.
● Teach five, eight-week long classes a year through Rowan Cabarrus County Community College’s Agripreneur Academy and Network.
● Provide technical assistance to farmers interested in transitioning to certified organic production.
● Assist with on-farm, production-based learning opportunities.
● B.S. in a horticultural or agronomic science field AND 3 years of relevant work experience in organic/sustainable agriculture, OR 7 years relevant work experience in organic/sustainable agriculture.
● Experience with greenhouse and high tunnel production, as well as operating and maintaining tractors, irrigation systems, and other farm tools and equipment.
● Ability to work nights (Tu/Thu) and weekends.
● Strong familiarity with the National Organic Program regulations.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Ability to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and to work comfortably in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
● Ability to work well within a team and individually, internally and externally, from diverse backgrounds.
Salary / Compensation
Salary range is $36,000 – $43,000, commensurate with experience. CFSA provides generous vacation, retirement, and health insurance benefits.
TO APPLY: Submit a resume, list of professional references, and a cover letter explaining why you want to work to promote local, organic agriculture to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Lomax Farm Coordinator” in the subject line. You will receive an e-confirmation of your submission. No calls, please.
CFSA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and people of color.