- Location: Raleigh, NC
- Close Date: 01/15/2021
- Hiring Organization: NC Conservation Network
- Contact Name: Stephanie Schweickert
- Contact Email: email@example.com
The North Carolina Conservation Network is seeking candidates for the position of Organizer. This is a full time, permanent position based in Raleigh and will require travel across the state when it is safe to do so. During the pandemic, the position will be remote.
The NC Conservation Network is a statewide network of approximately 75 environmental, health, and environmental justice organizations. The NC Conservation Network directly advocates for equitable and sustainable solutions for our environment and public health.
The Organizer will play a critical role in NC Conservation Network’s issue advocacy and public outreach, with a focus on:
- Educating the public on state and federal environmental issues, in particular on how their elected officials are supporting or opposing legislation to protect or damage the environment and public health.
- Engaging the public and our activists to take online and offline action around key environmental and environmental justice issues in the state (i.e. opposing offshore drilling, addressing ongoing threats to communities from animal waste management and natural gas infrastructure, supporting solar energy, protecting communities from polluted water, etc.).
- Mobilizing activists and historically disenfranchised voters in a non-partisan civic engagement Get-Out-the-Vote program each fall.
Applicants should be excited about regularly engaging with potential activists via email, phone, online, and in-person meetings to engage them in the most relevant issue advocacy campaigns. Our most recent campaigns have included opposition to fracked gas pipelines, cleaning up toxic forever chemicals in NC waterways, and supporting a North Carolina clean energy plan. Ideal candidates will be self-starters with an ability to manage multiple projects and move both urgent and long-term work forward.
Location and travel: Typically, our staff all work out of our downtown Raleigh office. During the pandemic, NC Conservation Network staff are working remotely from home until it is safe to return. This position will begin by working remotely as well. When it is safe, the Organizer will work in our office with the rest of our staff. Once we are able to resume normal activities and interactions, there will be moderate travel across North Carolina to attend events and meet with activists.
- Facilitate public communication to policymakers: work to generate emails, calls, and other communications to legislators and decision makers on issues, such as renewable energy programs, clean drinking water protections, toxic chemical rules, and more.
- Coordinate activists to attend online and offline events: lead event planning and recruitment for volunteer phone banks, media events, and public comment hearings.
- Strengthen leadership in our movement: recruit and train activists to become local leaders. Use a variety of online and offline tactics to recruit new activists, build excellent relationships with them, and turn them into strong leaders in their communities.
Develop strong relationships with our top activists and move them to take high-level actions.
- Raise awareness of key issues in targeted North Carolina communities through outreach, presentations, online communications, and events.
Ideal qualifications include:
- BA/BS, preferably in political science, public policy, communications or environmental studies/science.
- Understanding of the key components of constituent advocacy, state level nonprofits, politics, policy-makers, and media – especially in North Carolina.
- Strong communication, networking, and public speaking skills. Comfort regularly cold calling potential activists.
- Demonstrated experience engaging and motivating volunteers/activists.
- An ability and passion for working with a diverse cross-section of people in North Carolina.
- Comfort with technology and database management.
- Comfort working non-traditional hours, including occasional weekends and evenings.
- Commitment to environmental justice and protecting at risk-communities, particularly communities of color.
- Ability to work 100% remotely during the pandemic. Ability to report to the Raleigh, NC office in the future and a willingness to travel across North Carolina on regular basis.
- 2-4 years of professional experience within an advocacy organization or in organizing issue campaigns.
The salary scale for this position is $32,000-42,000, commensurate with previous applicable work experience. Employment with the NC Conservation Network also includes a full benefits package, including health, dental, and retirement plans, as well as strong vacation and sick time off.
While applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, it is recommended to apply by Jan. 15. Position is open until filled. To apply, email both a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Attn: Organizer”
NC Conservation Network is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.