- Location: Durham, NC
- Close Date: 07/05/2022
- Hiring Organization: Toxic Free NC
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Job Website
Toxic Free NC fights for environmental health and justice by advocating for safe alternatives to harmful pesticides and chemicals in agriculture and consumer products. We’re seeking a Policy Director to ensure that public policy is responsive to those most affected by toxic pollution.
The Policy Director is a champion for justice, strategically advancing our platform through coalition partnerships, advocacy that builds public participation, and issues-based campaigns that move the needle toward safer policies that protect everyone in our community.
- Leads Toxic Free NC advocacy for the protection of public health and the environment based on rigorous and transparent science
- Serves as a policy expert and regulatory watchdog on pesticides and adjacent issues in North Carolina
- Increases public awareness and involvement in policy-making
- Develops campaign strategies and leads issues-based campaigns
- Builds and strengthens coalition partnerships
- Prepares policy briefs, position papers, and action alerts
- Participates in, and helps shape, Toxic Free NC’s collective leadership model
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Policy experience with environmental or health advocacy issues, or work on issues-based campaigns
- Clear and compelling public speaking and written communication skills, with the ability to convey scientific concepts to any audience.
- Embodies Toxic Free NC’s mission and values, including a commitment to addressing systemic inequity
- Must have a valid driver’s license and ability to travel throughout North Carolina and occasional travel outside the state
- Big plus: knowledge of pesticide issues, food systems, organic agriculture, and/or environmental justice issues in North Carolina
- Helpful but not required: training or educational background in environmental policy, public policy, environmental science, public health, chemistry, or a related field
This is a full-time position (40 hours/week) with paid vacation, holidays, and health and dental benefits. The starting salary, commensurate with experience and other factors, is $50,000-60,000 annually. The job is based at our office in downtown Durham and requires occasional travel around the Triangle and the state.
Send us a cover letter, résumé, two writing samples, and three job related references to email@example.com with the subject line “Policy Director Application.” Applications are due by July 5, 2022.
We want you! Toxic Free NC is an equal-opportunity employer. We value the lived experience of community members impacted by environmental exposure and we are committed to creating an inclusive and anti-racist working environment. Women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ and especially those with personal connections to communities impacted by pesticides are strongly encouraged to apply. If you feel that you are a good fit but don’t meet all the above-mentioned requirements, we encourage you to apply by including a statement of how you would contribute to the role.