- Location: Morrisville, NC
- Close Date: 02/05/2023
- Hiring Organization: Democracy North Carolina
- Contact Name: Hannah James
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Job Website
The Program Associate is a full-time position that supports Democracy NC’s Policy Team with its efforts to advance structural democracy reform and mitigate harm from voting restrictions through legislative, administrative, and legal channels. The Program Associate will help develop and carry out the organization’s long-term reform agenda by supporting our election-year programmatic work at a logistical level and supporting key local advocacy programming.
The Program Associate reports to the Policy & Program Manager. As needed, the Program Associate will also support specific projects led by the Election Protection Research Manager who supports our election protection programming research. This position is currently hybrid but is based in the organization’s Morrisville office.
Non-Election Year Focus
- Coordinates our interdepartmental Elections Advocacy program, including Early Voting Advocacy, County Board of Elections Monitoring, and Canvass Monitoring:
- Works alongside the Volunteer Program Associate, Organizing Director, and communications team to recruit, manage, train, and develop materials for statewide Elections Advocates;
- Supports the Policy and Election Protection Manager(s) in conducting election administration research and analyzing County Boards of Election data;
- Meets with local decision makers and State Board of Elections officials to advance local election policy reform agenda;
- Provide strategic guidance and policy support, including the creation of projects and campaigns to support local advocacy initiatives;
- Represents Democracy NC in coalition spaces, and when appropriate, convenes stakeholders and/or partners to participate in collaborative work planning process
- Support Research & Data, as needed in the following areas:
- Internal and external data requests, and other research projects as needed.
Major Election Year Focus: Election Protection
- Poll Monitoring/Vote Protector Program:
- Work alongside Election Protection Research Manager to recruit a diverse volunteer base for our Vote Protector Program, ensuring coverage across North Carolina.
- Conduct multiple poll monitoring trainings in various regions across North Carolina.
- Provide administrative and logistical support for the recruitment, training, and placement of poll monitors across North Carolina.
- Supervise the distribution of poll monitoring materials to volunteers across the state, assignment of precincts to poll monitors, and return of materials to drop-off sites.
- Respond in a timely way to questions about our poll monitor program from volunteers and other community stakeholders.
- In coordination with communications and digital teams, assist with public education and communications tasks related to Voter Protection work.
- Work collaboratively with other Democracy NC staff, coalition partners, and contractors to implement the core components of our Vote Protector Program.
- Conduct program evaluation post-election.
- Additional Election Protection Support:
- Assist with post-election reporting, both internal and external, as directed by the Policy & Program Manager.
- Assist EP leadership and Administrative staff on communications for a regranting program (Adopt a Precinct.)
Skills and Attributes
- Ability to execute logistically heavy statewide programs with multiple components, paying close attention to details.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including conducting trainings for large and diverse audiences.
- Ability to work across multiple departments and collaborate in a virtual environment.
- Willingness and ability to learn new technology quickly.
- Sharp, strategic thinker.
- Reliable and quick at data entry.
- Comfortable in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment.
- Volunteer recruitment and management experience.
- Some familiarity with or a strong interest in North Carolina elections law and procedures and democracy issues.
- At least 1-2 years’ experience in advocacy or grassroots organizing efforts.
- Strong project management and coordination skills, including close attention to detail.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and anti-racism, to North Carolina, and the South.
Hiring range: $48,000-$55,000 based on prior experience
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% employee premium coverage and 50% premium coverage for domestic partner/spouse and/or children
- Health Reimbursement Arrangement for out-of-pocket medical expenses up to 76% for employees and 38% for covered family members
- Free telehealth for all employees and family members
- Employer-provided life insurance and ADD
- 30 days PTO, 9 paid holidays + 1-week office closure at the end of the year
- 403(b) retirement option with employer contribution
- Individual and team professional development opportunities
- Casual, flexible work environment with a commitment to employee wellbeing and work/life balance, currently operating as hybrid in-person/remote
For specific questions about Democracy NC’s benefits, please contact Hannah James (HR Associate) at email@example.com
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Program Associate:”
- Cover letter with an overview of your professional background and interest in the position
- In your email, please share how you first learned about this position
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a priority deadline of February 2, 2023. The role will remain open until filled.
Applicants whose skills and qualifications most closely match the needs of this role will be invited to interview in February.
Job offers are contingent upon successful completion of reference and background checks. Only prior convictions that risk the safety of our staff or the security of the organization will be considered disqualifying.
Should you require any accommodation during the application process, please contact Hannah James (HR Associate) email@example.com and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
About Democracy NC
Democracy North Carolina (Democracy NC) works to strengthen democratic structures, build power in disenfranchised communities, and inspire confidence in a transformed political process that works for all. Through grassroots organizing, policy advocacy and research, and strategic communications, the nonpartisan organization aims to protect and advance voting access, ensure fair representation, and increase the participation of those historically underrepresented in the political process, especially people of color. For nearly 30 years, this 501(c)3 nonprofit (and its predecessor, Democracy South) has taken on powerful institutions and politicians, regardless of party, and promoted reforms that expand public involvement in civic life. Democracy NC works closely and in coalition with reform-minded local, state, and national partners to achieve the policy outcomes and grassroots participation necessary for a just and equitable democracy.Our Work