- Location: Asheville, NC
- Close Date: 06/30/2021
- Hiring Organization: Democracy North Carolina
- Contact Name: Hannah James
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Job Website
Each Democracy North Carolina Regional Managing Organizer is responsible for locating, training and activating African Americans, other underrepresented citizens, and their allies who are interested in understanding and using the political process for empowerment and positive change. Organizers develop relationships and build a base of dedicated grassroots volunteers who take action and lead campaigns to (1) increase the civic participation and leadership of underrepresented voters and (2) advance a range of voting rights and governmental reforms that increase access to the ballot, improve government accountability, and reduce the influence of big money in politics.
The Western Regional Managing Organizer is based in Asheville, in the Buncombe regional office, and works in no more than 6 additional, assigned counties. The job requires extensive travel within the region, as well as travel to our central office in Morrisville at least once per month.
Regional Managing Organizers report to the Organizing Director who supervises the organizing staff and is responsible for ensuring that Democracy NC’s voter engagement campaigns, issue campaigns and statewide organizing program are successfully implemented.
● Building Democracy NC’s base through relational one on ones, coalition meetings and select speaking engagements in alignment with our priorities
● Coordinating local coalition-building efforts through monthly meetings creating a sense of community and connectivity with individuals, local groups, and chapters of state organizations.
● Coordinating, engaging and developing volunteers to participate in and lead a range of grassroots actions, including but not limited to voter engagement, voter education and get-out-the-vote actions, implementing public education campaigns, coordinating canvass plans, organizing events, and rallying public support for pro-democracy issues.
● Helping develop and implement issue campaigns and “mini-campaigns” with winnable goals related to pro-democracy issues and recruiting, training and activating new and seasoned activists and leaders to be involved in the campaigns.
● Conducting skills-based and educational trainings and workshops for volunteers and allies and intentionally developing volunteer leaders among the organization’s constituencies.
● Hiring, training, supervising, and working with a team of young organizers from late May through July each year, as part of the organization’s Democracy Summer program and working with interns and young organizers at other times during the year.
● Hiring, supervising and evaluating an organizing assistant to help with base building, campaign implementation, administrative and other duties as assigned.
● Connecting electoral reform efforts with broader social justice issues and staying abreast of current events within NC local and state politics and the national election reform movement.
Skills and Attributes
● Superior people skills; good instincts, excellent listening skills and judgment of character, ability to understand and connect to people’s motivations, ability to build strong relationships.
● Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
● Strong interpersonal communication skills: direct, proactive communication style; ability to ask for support; ability to give and receive constructive feedback from colleagues and supervisors.
● Flexibility, patience, clear-headedness, positive attitude, and ability to work in a fast-paced and often chaotic working environment.
● Superior written communication and public speaking skills.
● Ability to stay self-organized, multi-task and manage multiple projects at once.
● Understanding / analysis of structural and institutional oppression is a plus.
● Experience engaging volunteers in concrete actions and activities; experience developing and working with volunteer leaders over an extended period.
● Experience with planning and implementing grassroots, issue-based campaigns and voter engagement efforts, including power mapping, organizing public education activities, phone banking, door-knocking, meeting with elected officials, voter registration, etc.
● Experience facilitating meetings involving diverse constituencies and strong personalities, helping groups walk away with an increased understanding, tangible next steps, defined roles, etc. Coalition-building is a plus.
● Experience delegating and supervising employees, volunteers or interns.
Strong command of Microsoft Office programs and ease in adapting to new technology, such as the Voter Activation Network, Nation Builder, MyCampaign, and social media apps.
● Experience working in North Carolina’s political culture and/or strong knowledge of North Carolina history, culture and politics.
Salary Range: $46,000 to $54,000. Benefits include organization paid medical, dental, vision, telehealth and life insurance. Paid holidays and six weeks PTO. Opportunity to participate in the organization’s retirement plan.
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please):
● Cover letter with an overview of your professional background and interest in the position;
● Names and contact information for three references who can speak to your experience and skills.