- Location: Durham NC
- Close Date: 06/15/2021
- Hiring Organization: Ellerbe Creek Watershed Association
- Contact Name: Donna Myers
- Contact Email: Donna@ellerbecreek.org
- Job Website
Ellerbe Creek Watershed Association (ECWA) is a dynamic land trust and watershed organization in Durham, NC that manages almost 500 acres of land for nature, water quality and public enjoyment. We seek to grow our team this summer with a Stewardship Technician who will be responsible for implementing land management strategies on ECWA nature preserves along the South Ellerbe Greenway trail. The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience in safely working in outdoor environments, including chainsaw and string trimmer operation, plant identification and herbicide application and interacting with the public. Strong preference given to a candidate with this experience, but demonstrated willingness to learn will be considered. Training and orientation will be provided.
- Invasive species, trash and debris removal
- Trail maintenance
- Kiosk and interpretive signage upkeep and installation
- Regular tool and equipment maintenance
- Reliably provide own transportation and haul ECWA tools/materials to various worksites
- Coordinate logistics for and lead community work days throughout the summer
- Communicating with preserve users and neighbors in positive manner
- Preserve monitoring
Essential Functions (includes physical demands)
- Work alone outdoors without supervision in varied weather conditions while accounting for environmental hazards (poison ivy, snakes and insects).
- Lift and move objects potentially >50 lbs.
- Perform repetitive manual labor tasks for several hours at a time
- Work as part of a team and take initiative on projects as needed
Work Conditions, Compensation and Benefits
The Stewardship Technician will be hired as a part time, temporary employee for 12 weeks. The Stewardship Technician will complete approximately 20 hours of work per week (0.5 FTE) on recurring, regularly scheduled days of the week (mostly M-F, but the possibility for some weekend/evening hours).
$15.00 per hour, paid monthly on the 15th of the following month
Paid time off – 2 days per month FTE (8 hours per month, 24 hours total)
Small stipend to help offset costs of healthcare – $4,000/year FTE ($166 per month, $500 total)
Email a 1-page cover letter outlining your interest in and qualifications for the position along with a professional resume that details your experience to: Donna Myers at email@example.com or mail to PO Box 2679 Durham, NC 27715. Please include Stewardship Technician in the email subject line or on the envelope. ECWA will consider applications on a rolling basis and will begin interviews the week of June 7, 2021.
People of color, formerly incarcerated people, queer and non binary identified individuals, and women are especially encouraged to apply.
ECWA provides equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, age, or genetic information. ECWA is committed to recruiting, hiring, and promoting qualified women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans.