- Location: Durham, NC
- Close Date: 10/31/2019
- Hiring Organization: Democracy NC
- Contact Name: HR Department
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Job Website
Democracy North Carolina (Democracy NC) is a nonpartisan organization that uses organizing, advocacy, and research to protect the right to vote, reduce the influence of big money in politics, and advance fair representation in our state. Its model seeks to build a multi-racial, multi-class civic culture, driven especially by the participation of North Carolinians historically underrepresented in the political process, especially people of color. It also works to achieve specific structural reforms that increase access to the political process. For 25 years, this 501(c)3 nonprofit organization (and its predecessor, Democracy South) has taken on powerful institutions and political leaders, regardless of party, and promoted reforms that expand public involvement in civic life. Democracy NC is a preeminent voting rights organization in its state and region and works closely and in coalition with reform-minded local, state, and national partners.
The person in this full time, time-limited position (through November 30, 2020) will be responsible for managing Democracy North Carolina’s portfolio of voter protection activities leading up to the March 2020 Primary and the November 2020 General Election. Those activities include project management of both a voter protection hotline and a poll monitoring program, and state- and local-level administrative policy advocacy. This position will report to the Advocacy Director and also supervise the Voter Protection Coordinator (another temporary, full-time role), Executive Director, Senior Researcher, organizing, training, and communications staff, coalition partners, and volunteers.
The Voter Protection Project Manager is based in Democracy NC’s Durham office.
Poll Monitoring (Primary: December to March 2020; and General Election: August to November 2020)
● Manage the recruitment, communication with, and placement of several hundred poll monitors during the primary and over 1000 during the General Election, with the support of the Voter Protection Policy Coordinator, Senior Researcher, and other Democracy NC staff.
● Develop the calendar and training curriculum for in-person trainings. Serve as a lead for the poll monitoring training team.
● Manage the creation and distribution of poll monitoring materials to volunteers across the state, assignment of precincts to poll monitors, return of materials to central drop-off sites across the state, and intake of completed materials at Democracy NC office.
● Manage communication and relationships with partner organizations, county Boards of Elections, and the SBE related to poll monitoring.
Election Protection Hotline (Primary: February 2020; and General Election: October 2020)
● Manage the Election Protection hotline during the 17-day Early Voting period (February and early March 2020 during the Primary, and October during the General Election), including by recruiting, training and managing volunteer hotline staffers; personally staffing the hotline as needed; coordinating with national coalition partners to develop training for hotline volunteers and state coalition partners to assist with staffing; ensuring high quality of data collection; and, generally overseeing phone and office set-up during this period.
● Respond in a timely way to questions about voting rules and procedures from voters, volunteers, and other community stakeholders. As needed, contact county Boards of Elections and SBE staff for clarification about rules and procedures.
General Election Early Voting Advocacy (June through August 2020)
● Help to coordinate the organization’s effort to advocate for expansive Early Voting plans at the county level, including by monitoring the adoption of Early Voting plans by county Boards of Elections, developing talking points on individual Early Voting plans that can be used by our volunteers, coordinating outreach to our statewide network with Democracy NC’s Communications team, and collaborating with coalition partners.
● Communicate with staff of the State Board of Elections (SBE) and state-level coalition partners regarding any county Early Voting plans placed before that body.
● Respond in a timely way to questions about Early Voting plans from volunteers and other community stakeholders.
● Assist with writing and/or updating voter education materials, including online materials, as needed.
● Supervise the work of the Voter Protection Coordinator and, as needed, volunteers.
● Support U.S. Census outreach and advocacy during Spring 2020.
● Work collaboratively with other Democracy NC staff, coalition partners, and contractors to implement the components of our 2020 voter protection program
● Familiarity with North Carolina elections law, or proven ability to quickly become proficient in the basics of North Carolina elections law.
● At least 3-5 years of experience in advocacy or policy reform efforts.
● Strong organizing and project coordination skills, including close attention to detail. Proactive, self-starting project manager.
● Ability to work collaboratively with various stakeholders and manage multiple projects at various stages of completion.
● Clear, direct communication skills (written and verbal). Presentation skills. Strong ability to work collaboratively within a fast-paced team.
● Commitment to Democracy NC’s mission and values, including racial equity; ability and willingness to work with diverse groups, including low-income North Carolinians, people of color, and residents of varying political ideologies; and in diverse settings, including both rural and urban environments.
$55,000 to $60,000 for 12 months, depending on experience. Full benefits including paid time off, medical, dental, vision, life, and AD&D insurance and a retirement plan.
Email cover letter, resume, and list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Enter Voter Protection Project Manager and your Name in the subject line. No phone calls, please.