- Location: Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Close Date: 09/30/2020
- Hiring Organization: Every Tray Counts
- Contact Name: Sue Scope
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Job Website
The executive director will be responsible for coordinating and collaborating with local environmental advocates and school partners to help guide North Carolina school districts in their progress toward more sustainably managed schools.
Every Tray Counts (ETC) is a small North Carolina non-profit that works with children, parents, and communities to promote responsible purchasing and waste diversion practices in North Carolina schools. We do this by replacing lunchroom polystyrene trays with a sustainable alternative, and by diverting lunchroom compostable materials away from landfills.
Even in these changing and challenging times, Every Tray Counts knows that North Carolina schools must keep their focus on improving the quality of education and sustainability goals. ETC stays current on environmental issues that affect schools regarding lunchroom practices, environmental education opportunities in the classroom, and overuse of single-use plastics.
We have been a non-profit for six years, and in that time we have touched the lives of over 500,000 students. As executive director, you will have the opportunity to grow this organization into a more active, inclusive state-wide organization, serving the over 1.5 million students in North Carolina.
• Oversee the implementation of the strategic plan through school programs and community outreach by working with donors, volunteers, school administrations, school staff, parents, students, and other environmental groups
• Fundraise, including Go Fund Me, small donors, grants, and corporate donations. Follow up with grant requirements like mid grant progress
• Cultivate and work with a diverse board of directors
• Perform administrative duties including developing an annual budget and compliance with all government forms, licenses, and taxes
• Use the ETC database to keep track of and update information, including new prices, school green teams, and district information
• Help and advocate for the newly formed ETC regional group
• Update our annual NC fact sheet, quarterly newsletter and supervise social media
• Develop Southeast regional plan including South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia
• Keep track of legislative efforts and liaison with legislative allies
• Advance legislation and regulatory efforts to include schools
• Coordinate with other environmental campaigns, including those of Environment NC, NRDC, NC ConNet, USCC, NCCC
• Continue to develop relationships with Duke and UNC
• Research issues like local budget silos, incorrect information, plastics contamination, corporate polluters, and disseminate information
• Experience in managing a growing organization, preferably a non-profit
• Prior work in education preferred
• Prior work in community organizing preferred
• Passion for children, the environment, and classroom education of sustainability issues
• Location: flexible throughout North Carolina
• Close Date: 09/30/2020
• Hours: part-time (20 hrs/wk) with the opportunity to become full-time
• Salary commensurate with experience/ no benefits
• Six-month salary with the opportunity to continue by raising funds
For questions and to send a resume, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org